In any case, the standing Vampirella is roughly 1/6 scale and has five parts: the base, a pair of boots, an arm and the rest of the body. This sculpt is based on a much larger work by Susmu Sugita which has been OOP forever. The resin kit was very clean
and required very little prep work although painting her red outfit was a chore since there was little demarcation between her skin and the skimpy costume.
As time worn on, it became evident that the base for this standing
Vampirella kit was defective as, after a brief time, I'd find the Vampirella figure leaning to the left or right to the point of actually falling over. It was cast hollow in an effort to save resin (I assume) so the mounting pins in the boots really didn't
have that much to bite into (pardon the pun). In any case. I filled the void with various substances to address this problem without any success. My next step was to place Vampirella in a place on my display shelf where she'd lean on something to prevent a
Fast forward about a year where I come across a beveled pine base at a model builder's convention for three bucks. I figured I could copy the original to a certain degree with better results as far as the stability of my figure was concerned.
Signing into Thingaverse.com, I did a search for “tombstones” which resulted in the very nice replacement that you see in the pictures. It had more detailing and had a much more interesting shape than the original so I fired up my 3D printer
and ran off a copy that I scaled to fit the scene. I already had a skull recipe in my 3D files, so I ran that off as well, with each object taking about three hours to print.
Next, I built up the base with some two part epoxy clay and roughly sculpted
in some surface details such as rocks and the like. Before the clay set, I pushed the skull and gravestone into place. After the clay fully cured (about 24 hours), I gave the whole base a couple coats of gray primer and let that sit overnight as well.
I used craft paints to paint up the base objects with an undercoat of burnt sienna for the ground. After the paint dried, I gave the ground part of the scene and thick coating of PVA glue and then dusted it with various ground foams to simulate earth and
grass along with yellow tree debris I found in my driveway to suggest dead leaves. 11/19/19