The detail is really remarkable considering it is a 3D print which, oddly, posed something of a problem. The shape shifting creatures are often described as being oily black and iridescent which doesn't translate well when painting a static figure because
the detail can be lost in the coloration. What I ended up doing was painting it with a mixture of dark green and tan from rattle cans. Before the paint fully dried, I can back with clear red, blue and green (also from rattle cans) highlighting the numerous
protrusions and tentacles which abound on this figure. I kept at this numerous times until finally got the look I was aiming for.
Next came on what color to paint the 32 eyes and eight mouths. The eyes were of various sizes and give the appearance of
morphing back into the body or, conversely, just emerging. Ditto on the mouths. I initially was going to go with typical eye coloration with white sclera and some tint for the iris but, after a few test eyes, I decided this just didn't fit the overall color
I finally decided on a 50/50 mix of iridescent blue and red which gave me a plum iridescent sclera. The iris' were from my glass doll eye stash which I doubled on some of the larger orbs. This is an actual eye deformity called polycona. I used
3 to 5mm eyes with clear irises which I back painted silver. Once all the eyes were in place, I applied two applications of Gallery Glass Crystal clear on the whole eye to give them more relief which resulted in a nice bulging eye effect.