Enter the 3D printer. I have had one in my possession for about five years now and I consider it an invaluable tool in any serious modeler's
workshop. I can't begin to list the number of times that my printer has provided solutions to a myriad of problems I've encountered in this hobby.
Anyway, as some of you may know, the 3D printer runs on recipes that generate the object in question. The really NEAT part is that you can alter the dimensions of the object to fit your needs. In this case, I had discovered some
real nice Star Wars spaceships in the form of gaming pieces, specifically the “Star Wars X-Wing Miniature Game” by Jay Little. The ships are about an 1 1/4” long (roughly Z scale) but the detail is exquisite. I purchased the game for the
three fighters (there are two TIE and one X-Wing) and I got two more X-Wings and Darth Vader's TIE fighter separately.
the scale of the fighters was the driving factor in how large the diorama would be, I now could download and print out the Death Star tiles to fit the scene. I ended up making the tiles about 25% smaller which made a scene a tad over 16 inches wide by eight
For the sub-base I found a piece of L shaped Styrofoam packaging to give me a cut away view of the
trench. I ended up printing twelve different tiles for the scene, the size of which I could adjust to fit by using the 3D printer's slicing program.
This was a fairly simple build albeit a time consuming one. Each tile, depending on its complexity, took about six to seven hours or so to print. I wasn't idle during the printing process since I could work on other projects which