The Wolf Girl
Yet another resin kit that I recently purchased on eBay. It's a Chinese import (in fact it's where you order it from) but, as far as I can tell, it is NOT a recast and, unfortunately, have no information on who sculpted this fine piece of work.
The quality is very good with minimal clean up of seam lines and zero bubbles. The plus forty piece kit is made in what I will call the “Bandai” method, that is, parts are inserted into one another in an overlapping style which makes painting very easy. For example, for an arm you might have four parts, e.g. the hand, the cuff, fur trim and then the arm itself. Each part is separate so if you want to make each piece its own color, it is fairly easy to do.
The down side of the above is that there weren't any assembly instructions so you must rely of photos of the finished model to figure out which part goes where. Additionally, the assembly sequence is crucial because you can put two pieces together only to discover that another part should have been attached first. What helps a LITTLE is that some pieces are “keyed” at their assembly point so you can figure out what goes where after a little head scratching. For this reason, I'd recommend anyone attempting this keep should have advanced modeling skills. This kit is definitely NOT for the beginner.
Anyway, I pretty much followed the color palette that was used to display the kit on eBay. I think I used six shades of gray and as many in brown. One thing that was a little different (in my experience at least) is that a decal sheet was provided for the wolf & girl eyes. Those of you that have read about some of my other builds know that “eyes” are my Achille's heel and I often resort to glass or doll eyes in my build ups. There are four pairs of each figure's eyes because you WILL mess up at least one before you get the hang of placing them on the model. Once satisfied with their position, I used Solvaset to make the decal snuggle down in place and then, when dry, a drop of Future floor wax on each to get the 'wet' look.
To add to the visual impact of the figures, I found a snow forest photograph that I downloaded from Google to act as the background. I also made an extra base from the bottom of a bleach bottle that I trimmed and filled with plaster of Paris to give it some heft. This extra base wasn't really that necessary per se but I think it helps finish off the scene in a nice way.
The kit comes with a spire of stone that the two figures are draped about which rests on a circular footing. Two dead tree branches are base mounted though I'm not sure if I like the look. Once completed, the kit stands about 7 inches tall and roughly three inches in diameter at the base.
So, as I have said this is a very nice detailed kit but if you are just starting out in the hobby, I'd hold off for a bit before tackling this one since it is fairly difficult in my opinion. NFS 1/25/2018